The North West Healthcare Science Trainee Network Board (NW HCS TNB) was set up in the summer of 2013 by Helen Liggett, Nick Fowler-Johnson and Tiffany Daniels to develop the trainee arm of the North West Healthcare Science Network. The Trainee Network Board’s vision is to support, develop and promote all healthcare science trainees and junior staff from all healthcare science specialisms across the North West. It is:
- A dedicated group of trainees that will provide all trainees with a voice across the strategic landscape locally and nationally.
- Supported by the North West Healthcare Science Workforce Board and has representation on this group.
- The conduit for feeding into national groups such as the National School of Healthcare Science Themed Boards and locally into the North West STP Training Managers Group.
Success to date:
- Expanded very rapidly, there are now 12 trainee volunteers to represent all stages of training, specialisms and trusts across the North West.
- Supported the 2013 intake of trainees at dedicated ‘welcome events’ both for STP and PTP programmes in the North West.
- Hosted a Christmas networking event with key speaker Chief Scientific Officer Prof. Sue Hill OBE that was a roaring success!
- Supported the ‘Introduction to Leadership’ one day programme in February 2014
- Developed trainee specific pages on the NW HCS website www.nwhcs.nhs.uk/trainiees-network-board including contact details, important information bulletins, event information, TNB meeting and action logs.
- Engaged with the NW STP Training Managers Meeting, feeding back STP trainee concerns and suggested solutions.
- Encouraging trainees to sign up to be a STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) NHS Healthcare Science Ambassador to enthuse the next generation to become healthcare scientists, details of which can be found at www.stemnet.org.uk.
- The formation of ‘elective’ and ‘project’ areas on the TNB arm of the NWHCS website.
- Generating a ‘virtual welcome pack’ for new trainees that will help navigate the complex landscape of the training programmes.
- Supporting the 2014 intake of trainees at dedicated ‘welcome events’ both for STP and PTP programmes in the North West.
- Hosting the 2014 Christmas networking event…theme to be decided but watch this space!
- The development of new ways of communicating with trainees.
- Presence at The North West Big Bang Fair @ Aintree racecourse 8th July
If you would like more information or want to be involved in NW HCS TNB activities please contact a member of the Board.